Friday 10 May 2013

WTA Madrid Semi-Final Predictions: Serena-Errani, Ivanovic-Sharapova

1. Serena Williams v Sara Errani
Serena Williams
Yesterday I predicted Serena Williams to beat Anabel Medina Garrigues in 2 easy sets... how wrong could I be as Serena was pushed all the way and was even dished a second set bagel by the Spaniard.  Williams eventually pulled through 6-3 0-6 7-5, but now faces another clay court grinder, Sara Errani.  The Italian produced an excellent performance as she hit 25 winners past Ekaterina Makarova in a 6-4 6-3 victory.  Errani and Serena last met in the US Open semi-final when Serena ran out a comfortable 6-1 6-2 winner.  I think this encounter will be much tougher, being on the clay and I am actually quite intrigued, more than I  ever thought I would be for a Serena-Errani match!  Still, there will be no surprises with my predictions...

Prediction - Serena Williams to beat Sara Errani in 2 tight sets

2. Maria Sharapova v Ana Ivanovic
The second semi-final in Madrid will see a Stuttgart quarter-final rematch between Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic.  Sharapova was solid once again, dispatching Kaia Kanepi in straight sets.  Ivanovic is on an extremely impressive run of form and she was never troubled in getting past Angelique Kerber, 6-3 6-1 for her third consecutive win over the German.  Sharapova won their most recent match in Stuttgart, 7-5 4-6 6-4.  Ivanovic played a stunning second set, but her pursuit for the win was sidelined by a lengthy Sharapova delay in between sets two and three.  She did recover a big third set deficit, but faltered at the crucial stages.  She gets another chance tomorrow and I would like to see her beat Sharapova; however I think after another close match, Sharapova will set up a final showdown with Serena...

Prediction - Maria Sharapova to beat Ana Ivanovic in 2 tight sets

You can view my full predictions from Madrid HERE, which I made before the tournament.  I am cursing myself for going with Kerber over Ivanovic, but generally speaking, its been a solid-ish week for a tournament that normally throws up surprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment