Sunday 28 October 2012

Serena Williams claims the last WTA landmark title of 2012, beats Sharapova 6-4 6-3 in final

Serena Williams wrapped up a sensational 2012 with a 6-4 6-3 victory over Maria Sharapova in the YEC final in Istanbul.  It was actually a respectable performance from Sharapova who earnt two more games than her last two matches against Serena combined.  Serena hit a staggering 40 winners to 14 unforced errors and did not face a break point throughout the 89 minute contest.  

I have said on many occasions, but this has been the best year for the WTA for quite sometime.  We are one step better than last year in that we have a world number one who has won a Grand Slam and was pretty marvellous all year.  You cannot deny though that Serena is the true number one and the one to beat having lost just one match since the French Open.  She will go into the Australian Open as the massive favourite, but it will be interesting to see how the challengers respond over the off-season and into 2013.  I also hear that Eurosport will only be covering Grand Slams now, which is very disappointing news.  Hoepfully there will still be live coverage of the lesser events but we will have to wait for an announcement.

The final final event (the Tournament of Champions) in Sofia takes place this week, but I have to admit I hold very little interest in it coming after what I see as the natural end to the year in Istanbul.

Serena - The player to beat in 2013

COMING SOON - My review of the top 20 WTA matches of 2012.... My analysis of how well I did at predicting this year including my original predictions I did at the end of 2011... And of course my predictions for 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment