Saturday 6 July 2013

Wimbledon Final 2013: Marion Bartoli beats Sabine Lisicki, 6-1 6-4 for first Grand Slam title

Well done Marion!
Marion Bartoli won her first Grand Slam title with a 6-1 6-4 triumph over Sabine Lisicki in the 2013 Wimbledon womens title.  Firstly, what a performance from Bartoli.  She has played a terrific tournament and did not a drop a set through the whole two weeks.  She played a solid, consistent match and even when Lisicki came back towards the end of the second set, she closed the match out in style with a thumping ace.  Unfortunately it was not a fun match to watch as Lisicki admitted in her interview with Sue Barker that she was overwhelmed by the situation.  To be honest, this could have been a whole lot worse and she did remarkably well to make the second set competitive.  I have to admit it was one of the most uncomfortable matches I have watched in recent years, particularly watching Sabine cry midway through the second set.  I think she almost wanted this too much and knew what an incredible opportunity she had.

A well done to Lisicki for her sportsmanship and giving Bartoli the credit she deserved, who was the better player and fully deserves this first Grand Slam title.  Her speech was really sweet and it was nice to see both Amelie Mauresmo and Kiki Mladenovic in her box.  This womens draw has been completely crazy; if you had told me two weeks ago when I was meticulously scanning through the draws that Marion Bartoli would win it, I just would not have believed you! I am intrigued to see how both Bartoli and Lisicki perform in America now.  Bartoli looks to be in a great place in her life right now, meanwhile I think the pain of this loss will push Lisicki onwards and upwards.  I'll leave you with this... Centre Court ticket holders on the first Tuesday of Wimbledon 2014 will witness Marion Bartoli open the defence of her title... just amazing :-)


3 comments:

  1. Nerves of war :-P

    Lisicki collapsed under the issue and awoke too late.

    Finalist in 2007, Marion captured the Wimbledon title seven years after the triumph of Amélie Mauresmo.

    Marion broke Lisicki's head under water until the femme fatale of Serena Williams, Samantha Stosur Agnieszka Radwanska resigns.

    Bartoli has become first player in history to win Wimbledon without beating a single player in the Top 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive me if I do not shouts Moo

      Long live the Queen Marion :-P

      Delete
  2. I wished this title to Bartoli for all her dedication however I cannot but feel really sorry for Sabine Lisicki. If you compare the draws it cannot be argued that both faced the same challenge... I mean, yes, Bartoli only played whoever was in front of her but Lisicki had a hell of a draw to get to the final. It was really sad to see that she couldn't make that last step. I mean, she can defeat Serena and then she just cannot find her best tennis again in the final. WTF??? Or shall I say WTA? LOL.
    Oh well, hopefully Marion will show good form in the upcoming events as well after she has some rest. I'd really like to see a Wimbledon champ taking a part at YEC this year.

    ReplyDelete